Thursday 22 November 2012

OUGD403 - End of Module Self-Evaluation

-->
BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN                                                      LEVEL 04
Module Code         OUGH403
Module Title            Design Skills

END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME:                       Jasper Lee

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The main skill I have developed would be my use of Adobe Illustrator. I had only previously used it during the days I spent at Nation on work experience. Now, however I am using it to produce all of my digitally made work. I think I have applied this skill effectively through my work, especially with the creation of my ‘compact’ typeface.
I have also developed other practical skills such as mono-printing which I used to produce one of my ‘compact’ letters.

What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

When I started coming up with ideas initially I used the ‘thought-shower’ technique, however, after my tutorial it was pointed out that this was not the best way to formulate my ideas. For the next briefs I tried to move away from that technique and focus more on quick visual sketches. They informed my design development process as it meant I had a greater range of initial ideas in a visual form, allowing me to choose the ones I think work the best with ease and take develop them digitally.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how/will you capitalise on these?

 I think currently my strengths lie in my background investigation and research rather than my practical execution. I will capitalise on the strength of my background investigation and research by it having an influence on my work and my opinions, especially when I comes to concepts and visuals.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I think my weaknesses lie in my final practical quality to my work and possibly the concept. On occasions I have been given feedback saying my work was slightly too safe and more could have been done to it. I think that this will improve over time as I begin to hone down my skills and become a better designer. I will work harder to improve my skills on Adobe Illustrator, which should improve the quality of my finished work.

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

I want to increase the output quality of my work, which would hopefully improve the aesthetic and overall appearance of the work.

I want to produce more innovative work, therefore, I need to be more experimental with my ideas giving me a more interesting outcome.

Blogging everything the day it has been completed/done so that I do not have it hanging over me and I can keep on top of everything with ease.

Use more of my own drawings and images in works as this would make my work more original.

Contribute more in group discussions so that I can increase confidence and gain more from the group critiques and discussions.

How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’)

5= excellent, 4= very good, 3= good, 2= average, 1=poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




X
Punctuality



X

Motivation



X

Commitment



X

Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced

X



Contribution to the group


X


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment