Wednesday 21 May 2014

OUGD505 - END OF MODULE EVALUATION



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD505               


 Module Title
Design Practice 02






END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

JASPER G S LEE


1.     What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I think my skills that have developed the most through this module are my craft skills. I would now say that I am competent using the laser cutter as this has played a key role in Studio Brief 01 and 02. I think I have applied my skills using that laser cutter well as I have minimised the burn on the stock by raising the stock off of the bed of the laser cutter.

I have also begun to learn how to wax seal letters and envelopes. Even though I have only started as I though it was appropriate for my project, it is something I can improve on over the summer and into net year. This skill has not been applied as well as I would have liked as I am still learning the basics, however, what I have produced does not look bad and it is effective.

Another skill that I have developed over this is the use and managing of digital printers so that I can choose a stock and a printer and get the outcome that I want. This has been applied well and has saved me time and money through the process.

Another skill that I think has improved is my finishing of work. The purchasing or better equipment, tools and props has enabled me to produce much more professional outcomes and photograph them well.



2.     What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

When I produce work that requires laser cutting, I know how to set it up quickly and efficiently using the correct software and using the correct set up method when actually at the machine. This has informed my practice as I can now calculate how long bits of work will take an how long a laser cutter will take so that I can manage my time better.

With some of the new technique or some of the skills that I was improving, I noticed there was quite a lot of trial and error involved. This is something that takes up considerable time and is best to plan for if you anticipate it.









3.     What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think my strength in this project lie more in the craft and finishing than in the design, especially regarding Studio Brief 02. Due to my improved crafting, printing and cutting skills I can produce work that looks much more professional than any done previously.

Using the right tools and the right set up my crafting and finishing is one of the strongest elements of this module.



4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

As with many of the modules this year my time management and blogging has been poor. I ended up having to rush Studio Brief 03 which meant I did not produce work that I was happy with, which is both irritating and annoying because I am only letting myself down.

I have also really got into Studio Brief 02, however, again ran out of time to accomplish all that I wanted. I have a lot more ideas I would love to produce had I planned my time better.

With regards to blogging again I have left most of it until the end meaning that the blogging is not as accurate as the information is not as fresh.

Another element of this module that I think is weak is my context especially for Studio Brief 02. I don’t think it is a lack of knowledge that is the problem; I think it is more the lack of documented knowledge. I do quick bits of research here and there and make a design decision on that but do not document it, which, in the long run, loses me makes and does not make the project appear as thorough as it is.

The final weakness in this module is a lack on consistent development I think throughout. Again this may be a problem with documentation but I think I need to have a greater depth to my project, as it will be more informed and will likely improve if I do more development, i.e. screenshots, photographs, scans, etc.




5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1.     The first thing that I would do differently is to blog as and when things happen so that they are fresh in my mind an I can be more articulate about what I am blogging.
2.     The second is a more consistent amount of development. At the moment I do not have a great deal of development and settle on an idea quite quickly. I think it would be better for me as a learner and a designer if I develop some more idea before settling on one.
3.     Documenting my context. Although I know at the time what has informed that decision that lack of documentation makes it impossible to mark or recall when needed. This will/should improve with the improvement of my blogging.
4.     Plan my time better so that when I really engage in a project, like I have with Studio Brief 02 I can produce a much wider variety of work and as many of my ideas as possible.
5.     The last thing I would do differently is more crafting. Although I have done quite a lot compared to my other projects I would still like to do more. It is something I have really enjoy and wished I had done more of, especially with the right tools.









6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance





Punctuality


X


Motivation


X


Commitment

X



Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced



X

Contribution to the group


X


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment