Wednesday 15 January 2014

OUGD504 - FINAL DESIGN BOARDS AND EVALUATION




BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
05
 Module Code 
OUGD504               


 Module Title
Design Production






END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME

JASPER G S LEE


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The new skills that I have developed through this module have been mainly web based, learning the basics of coded and designing for web.

I have also gained a deeper understanding of design for print and what methods should actually be take to get the best out of your work.

In terms of application I think I have applied the web skill more that the print related ones and I think I have applied them to near the best of my ability. I would have liked to have done more physical coding rather than just use images, however, I found this difficult which is why I did not do it.



2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have become much more aware of how important it is to have your colours and images to the correct mode and resolution regardless of what you are doing. This does not cause as many issues with web but it can lead to completely different looking print work.

This has informed my design development as I know check and if required change my images so that they are the correct resolution where as last year I was just leaving them and hoping for the best.




3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think my strengths lie in my layout and format design. I can capitalise on these in the future by choosing to do work that is more layout heavy or try and guide a brief in a direction so that I can use these skills.

I think his are is strong because I use strict grid systems but I’m not afraid to adapt and change the system. I also think my use of the Fibonacci numbers to size any text is a good way of keeping your layout balanced.











4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

The main weakness I have identified this module is a lack of good organisation and time management. I don’t know why this happened like it did but I have already set about plans to organise myself better so that I don’t end up rushing things towards the end of a module.

Another weakness I have noticed is a slight lack of development work for my briefs. Although, for the most part, the final outcomes are good, I have a feeling that I could have done more had I done a little more development and organised my self-better.

The final weakness I noticed this module that I haven’t noticed before, is that I have been making notes and calculations on scrap bits of paper. I have then not thought them to be relevant to anyone but me and I have then thrown them away. What I should really do is document and blog it all as I do it.







5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Organisation – use a diary to organise my work and myself so that I don’t end up panicking and rushing at the end of the module.

Notation – Any notes or decisions I make regarding my work and design I will blog and discuss where relevant as this will help me see why I made the decisions.

Blogging – I again managed to leave a large proportion of the blogging to the end of the module. I really need to blog as I go, as the blog will be more accurate and detailed, as the information will be fresh. This will also prevent stress towards the end of the module.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



X

Punctuality



X

Motivation

X



Commitment


X


Quantity of work produced


X


Quality of work produced


X


Contribution to the group


X


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.







No comments:

Post a Comment