Wednesday 26 February 2014

OUGD505 - STUDIO BRIEF 01 - Research Booklet

Having gathered a large body of broad research, I was finding it difficult to narrow down and focus on a single aspect to produce the booklet on.

To try and focus myself I broke my research down into 7 main topic areas. These topic areas were;

The Man (Hardy Amies)
The Monogram
2001 : A Space Odyssey
Tailoring
The Company (Hardy Amies Ltd.)
ABC of Men's Fashion
No. 14 Savile Row



From this I then narrowed it down to 3 topics I wanted to further focus on. The focus areas were;

The Man (Hardy Amies)
ABC of Men's Fashion
No. 14 Savile Row

The reason I chose to focus in on these areas were because I thought they possessed the most potential, where as The Monogram was limited on the information that could be presented, 2001 : A Space Odyssey didn't really interest me and I have previously done work on tailoring and therefore wanted to do something different. 

Once I had drawn out the various information on each of these chosen focus areas, I was able to decide on the topic I wanted to produce my research booklet on.





I have chosen to produce my research book on Hardy Amies : The Man as I found this to have the most potential and it was the area that I was most interested in. The reason I chose not to us The ABC of Men's Fashion was because I couldn't see many possible outcomes with the information that I had. The reason I chose no to use No. 14 Savile Row was because, although it has an interesting story, I have previously done work on Savile Row and I want to do something different. 

At this point I started to look at the size I wanted to produce my publication. I had already made the decision that I did not want to produce something really small as I have already produced quite a few small publications. Neither did I want to make it really big as I didn't think that a large size was appropriate for the content of the publication. I also wanted to avoid standard sizes as they are extremely common and uninteresting.

I started to decide on my by cutting up an existing publication to experiment with variety of different sizes.



The far left and far right were existing sizes of publications. I cut down the publication on the left using the golden ration to create my measurements. The second publication is the same height as the original, however, the width has been cut down using the golden ratio. The third publication from the left again uses the golden ratio, however, this publication was cut down to a much smaller size just to try it out. 

The dimensions I have chosen to produce the publication at are 239mm x 149 mm, which is the size second in from the left in the picture above.







At this point I also noted down the dimension of a double page spread and the CMYK values of the blue used by Hardy Amies Ltd. for reference later.

Once I had decided on the size of my publication I put all my other ideas down on paper.



I wanted to visualise all the information I needed to include in the publication so that I was clear on what I needed to do.

Although the publication is required to be 16 pages I need to clarify whether this is 16 pages of content or 16 pages in total. I need to know this as it determines how much content is able to be published. I want to include a front/back cover and a contents page, however, if this would take my page total to at least 20 pages, maybe 24 if I wanted to spread them out.

Once I know this I can write and arrange the content of the publication.

I had originally completely decided on a gloss stock, however, upon finding an existing publication that was on a matt stock I am now unsure what stock I want to print on. What I am sure about is that I want my cover stock to be heavier than the internal stock regardless as to whether I chose matt or gloss stock to print on.

For the binding of the publication I wasn't sure whether I wanted to saddle-stitch the publication or staple bind it. To decide this I will produce mock ups of each one and see what works the most appropriately with the stock that I choose and the content. 

The font that I have primarily chosen to use is Gill Sans as it is similar, if not the same as the one used by Hardy Amies Ltd. on the website and throughout the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment