- The Internet was created in 1991 at CERN.
- It was created by a group of scientists so that they could share information without having to move.
- Tim Berners-Lee was the creator of the World Wide Web.
- When it was created it was entirely text based.
- All websites are hosted on web servers.
- The first web server was called the NEXT Computer.
- The NEXT Computer was designed by Steve Jobs.
- In 1992 the first image was shared on the Internet.
- The image was of CERN employees – ‘Les Horribles Cernettes’.
- The LHC is a play on the ‘Large Hadron Collider’ that was also developed by CERN.
- Universal File Format.
- Code is read by the browser.
- HTTP - Hyper Text Transfer Protocol
- URL - Uniform Resource Locator
- HTML - Hyper Text Markup Language
- CSS - Cascading Style Sheets
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- CMS - Content Management System
- Imitating the physical, digitally.
- Responsive websites
- 18 month + trend
- Design responds to media
- Can be adapted to a variety of media using screens of various sizes
- Ethan Marcotte
- What is the point?
- Need to answer 3 questions:
1. What is the purpose of the website?
2. Who are the target audience?
3. What do the target audience need?
We then looked at instant reactions to websites. We were shown a number of website and told to shout out our initial thoughts:
Leeds College of Art
My Own Bike
- Bad colours
The Yorkshire Soap Company
Norton & Sons
Big Apple Hot Dogs
- Full screen
- Full screen