Tuesday, 14 January 2014


The brief that I chose asked me to create a brand identity for a museum and gallery that was entirely devoted to type. The brief gave the name - The Type Factory - something which we were allowed to change, however, I chose not to.

I initially started by writing down the order that I was going to produce everything in and the audience I was aiming at. Once I had noted those down I began to very roughly tryout some logos, looking at using type and specifically the letters 't' and 'f'.

Rather than continue my designs in ruff I decided to draw a selection of thumbnail sketches, illustrating my ideas.

Due to the nature of the museum and what it was to display, I wanted to keep the logo purely typographical, however, I wanted to make it more interesting than the Design Museum and other galleries that have plain logo type.

To make the logo more interesting I played around with the layout of the words and letters, the size of the words and letters and the kerning of the characters. 

At this point I was fairly decided on a logo, however, I produced two digital versions just to give my self a variation and see which one was preferred. 

The logo on the right was my preferred choice and after a discussion with a few of my contemporaries it was decided that this was the best and the one I should take forward. 

With the logo chosen I wanted to decide on a colour for the branding of the type factory.

I had originally wanted a dynamic/adaptive logo that could change and adapt to the content and still be recognisable as the same logo, however, I could not come up with a concept that worked well typographically. The closest I came was changing the information in the full-stop to reflect where the logo was of what it was on. This is an idea I took forward in my designing.

From my workings above, I was trying to work out my colour choices, font choices as well as my business card dimensions. I also thought about possibly using a different colour for each section of the museum but I had seen that done before and I though it was too much aesthetically. 

Due to the process of saving and uploading the logos most of the colours have changed quite substantially. I selected these colours to experiment with as I thought they stood out, were interesting and not very common colours. Although it does not look like it, each pairing is a different colour.

The colour I decided to run with was a teal green with the colour values c; 86, m;6, y;45, k;20. I do not really have a valid reason as to why I decided on this colour, it was mainly to do with personal preference, but also the fact that it is a colour that is not often seen and therefore could be identified as the colour of the type factory, so that if something was in that colour you would know it was associated with the type factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment