Monday, 19 May 2014


This was a day task set for us to develop our layout, hierarchy, application of text, point sizes, columns, margins, gutters, image, page size, bleed, scale, format, pagination, fluidity, audience and composition.

The task was split into two elements; the first was and image based, one sided flyer with minimal text and the second was a more text heavy concertina booklet.

We were provided with all of the copy, images, information and grid structure and it was out task to layout both parts.

I initially made some quick sketches as ideas came to me whilst also noting down the information and the hierarchy. The information I thought was the most important were the key elements that you needed so you attend the exhibition. The second most important information I decided was the sponsors and the contact information with the least important information being the curator and the copy. 

Having had the chance to look back over this I think that the information on what the event is should be made more obvious as any description is currently the least important information.

I continued to sketch up possible layout ideas before I attempted to layout and design on the computer. The Jackson Rising logo had an interesting fractured effect and at this point I though that maybe I could use that as the basis for a grid. When I tried this, however, it did not work. The grid information looked very unbalanced and the overall look was not aesthetically pleasing.

The design I chose to recreate digitally was the bottom right sketch.

I chose to produce the flyer in a portrait orientation, with the logo positioned on a landscape orientation. The reason I chose to do this is because I thought that the logo needed a greater amount of space.

The design is very simple and to the point. Looking back at the work there are a few things I would change to make the flyer more functional and aesthetically stronger. The curator information should be smaller and at the bottom of the page, on the opposite side to the logos. The Jackson Rising logo and date should be moved higher up the page and the date should also be made smaller. Finally the contact and copy should be made bigger whilst still staying the same distance below the logo.

The second part of the brief involved a lot more thought and planning as there was a greater amount of imagery and information to display. 

We had been set somet limitation on the way the booklet could be produced. It had to be 5 double sided A5 concertina booklet. I began by writing down all the relevant information so that I cold plan out how the booklet would work. I needed to select the images for each artist as well as work out how many pages could be allocated to each artist. I also decided to make the cover visually similar to the flyer so that there was a synergy and a correlation between the two. I also made the decision to give each artist a double page spread regardless of how many images they had, the size of these images and how much copy was written about them. The reason I made this decision was because this was the fairest option on the artists and it also left me space for a front and back cover.

Now that I had decided on the content arrangement of the book, I wanted to visualise how it would look in the publication. This is something I could not work out at first and I found working out how each spread should be laid out slightly confusing. Once sketched out I had a better understanding of how the document should be laid out for print but was still not 100% confident. On the sketch I decided where the artists would go as well as the cover pages. I tried some very quick mock ups to ensure I was working correctly;

At this point I also looked through all of the information and imagery I had for each artist so that I could work on a layout and decide what was going to be used.

The original grid used was a twelve column grid, which I adapted and manipulated for each DPS. The copy and artist's name was always situated on the right side of the DPS with the copy being aligned to the left and the artist's name to the right.

This was also the same on the contents page.

The website of each artist was also added under the copy about them. Where the artist had a lot of copy it overflowed into two columns. The copy columns were also limited to 5 row height so as to balance the image and not detract from it.

The images were the major problem with the layout as they all varied in size, quality and number. I did my best to fit them to the grid, however, this was not always possible.This does not, however, effect the aesthetic of the publication and it is still balanced and informative.

The aesthetic on the cover was similar to that of the flyer but the information was changed to make it more appropriate for an exhibition guide. The four artist's names were added as well as the location that the exhibition is being held at.

No comments:

Post a Comment